Who is helped?
On any given night in Baltimore City, nearly 3,000 people experience homelessness. The Christmas season brings joy and unity to our community; however, for many of our friends SALT serves downtown, the season brings with it the reminder of their solitude, as well as deeper loneliness and melancholy. For the past five years, the SALT team works hard to bring the light of Christ to these men and women during the holiday season. For the past five Christmas holidays, we have organized the collection and distribution of shoeboxes filled with goodies as a gift to those who would otherwise not receive a Christmas present.
Rather than collecting supplies and having an assembly day, we are hoping that families and individuals will sign up to assemble boxes at home.
Please drop gift-wrapped boxes to OLPH during the weekend Masses of December 12/13 to the upper-level Entrance of the OLPH Parish Center
The hope is that Boxes for Baltimore becomes a relational ministry for both our friends downtown, as well as our parish family. May your time assembling these boxes with your friends/family allow you to grow deeper in relationship with one another through doing the work of Christ, and ultimately growing in holiness as a community as we go BEYOND to serve our sisters and brothers in Christ.
Getting Started & Signing-up
Get together with neighbors, a parish small group, family, etc., and make boxes! (See instructions below).
Spread the word! We have only been able to grow this ministry so greatly because of our amazing, interconnected community.
Pray for the project, our mission, and those who will be receiving boxes.
What Goes In Each Wrapped Shoebox
- 1 grocery bag
- 1 bottle of water
- 2-4 toiletries (travel-sized Toothbrush/paste, shampoo, soap, etc.)
- 3-4 snacks (Granola bars, candy, crackers, etc.)
- 1 hand warmer & toe warmer
- 1 piece of warm clothing (socks, gloves, hat, etc.)
- NOTE: BOMBAS socks have gifted the SALT ministry with MANY socks, if you would like to make use of these socks, you can stop by the parish office front porch between November 28th and December 10th to take as many socks as you would like for your boxes.
- 1 $5 gift card (7-eleven or Dunkin Donuts are suggested)
- 1 Christmas card/note of encouragement