Our Approach at OLPH
Confirmation formation aims to journey alongside our young people as they seek to recognize how Jesus is present in their lives, understand and deepen their faith while committing to live as disciples for Christ each day. In formation, we hope our youth build confidence in prayer, learn how to pray when alone, with their family or small groups, or gather as a community. They will be supported and challenged to continue strong prayer habits and renew intentional efforts to pray daily.
In addition to helping them appreciate prayer in their lives, the lessons will explore the faith expressed in the Trinity and God’s relationship with his people, the Church.
As baptized daughters and sons of God, the Holy Spirit dwells within while confirmation prepares us to recognize the seven gifts of the Spirit active in our lives. The Spirit equips us to live out our mission, share our faith, and help others know Jesus through service to the community, which extends healing, comfort, and hope to others. In formation, the team supports a continued self-understanding and recognition of those gifts which ought to be cultivated and shared.
During the April Sessions (April 11, 18, and 25, 2021), teens will focus on establishing and building small faith communities with each other. Participants will find encouragement through their peers’ witnesses while having the opportunity to reflect on short lessons, which will be centered on their relationship with God, the gift of the Eucharist, the Church’s mission, and cultivating a relationship with a God who dwells with us — the Holy Spirit.
Working with the Archdiocese, we plan to offer the Sacrament of Confirmation in the Fall, and we will communicate date(s) as they are scheduled.
In preparation for this important day, we intend to offer:
1) a Retreat Experience (preferably overnight while mindful of providing the optimal experience while maintaining safe and healthy practices),
2) opportunities for Acts of Service with a reflection on these acts,
3) support and cultivate a relationship between the candidate and sponsor,
4) guidance on sharing their experience in a letter to the bishop, and
5) expound on their small faith communities started in April with evening gatherings.
In compliment with our parish mission, our Confirmation formation follows our Discipleship Pathway – FOUR with the following elements:
Belong | We were created for joy! Belong events are intended to be just for fun and hanging out. While Confirmation preparation is specific for preparing candidates, we encourage all high schoolers to join us for Encounter on Wednesday nights at 7 pm. Connect with our High School Youth Minister HERE to learn more!
Believe | We desire relationships! Believe events put us in touch with the person of Jesus, where we encounter his love for us. A Confirmation retreat is an excellent place for this to happen. We are planning for a great weekend of a real encounter. More information will become available in late Spring as we continue to navigate and adhere to COVID restrictions.
Become | We are called to greatness! By learning to live fully and abundantly in the spirit, we can follow Christ with a new level of commitment. Confirmation prep classes run on April 11, 18, and 25 on Sundays from 6:30-8:30 pm.
Beyond | We can be more! With the power of the Holy Spirit, we will bring Christ’s love to the world by giving as he does. Each candidate will complete a service project for the poor, the parish, and the community. Many opportunities will be offered so projects can be complete by the Fall of 2021! More information regarding service opportunities will be available in late Spring.
While I wait, what do I need to do now?
- If you have not yet done so, please register your child by clicking the below button
- Mark your calendar for your child to attend our Spring Classes on April 11, 18, and 25 at OLPH 6:30-8:30 pm in the Parish Center Gym.
- If you have any questions, please contact Fr. Michael Triplett, our acting coordinator of Confirmation, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have registration questions, please contact Claudia at email@example.com